Thursday, June 11, 2009

Lost in Translation?



I was looking for the Bhutanese phrase for "Thank You" with the idea of being a bit more polite to my friend from Bhutan who works graveyard at 7-11.

Didn't find a translation I could verify, but I did stumble across a site with the following advice (http://www.travelphrases.info/languages/dzongkha.htm):

I can't tell if this counts as 'indicative', 'bizarre', 'suggestive', 'sublime', 'alarming'....
Pinch of each?


"The four essential travel phrases in English:

1) Where is my room?
2) Where is the beach?
3) Where is the bar?
4) Don't touch me there!"



One can only assume the "four essential travel phrases in English" were chosen by regretful revellers returning from some sad 'Spring Break' in Cancun, sporting sunburns, blackouts, and "Girls Gone Wild" t-shirts....


No comments: