Friday, September 12, 2008

Original "The Original of Laura" notecards in Nabokov's own hand.



Very special thanks to my dear friend Tom Smith for taking the time & making the effort to track down the August 14th issue of the German weekly "Die Zeit" for me.










As F. Murray Abraham's character Salieri in "Amadeus" says in my favorite scene in all of filmdom, "I was staring through the cage, of those meticulous ink-strokes, at an absolute beauty."

Not that I expect "tOoL" to be an 'absolute beauty', but the simple fact of finding these cards, when for years it was assumed they'd be destroyed forever, gives them a certain enchantment that (for me at least) cannot be dismissed.












2 comments:

Unknown said...

you are a god for posting this on the internet. we should google-bomb "the original of laura" to your blog.

the captcha below includes dmx - DMX says "raar!"

Unknown said...

As soon as I read of these being published in a german weekly I spent the better part of a day tracking it down, finally getting it with the help of Tom, who works in the UW library system.

You were the first to get the copies, but then I knew I had to get them online somewhere. I'm hoping they spread for all who are interested to see.