Tuesday, September 2, 2008

"The lord giveth, and the lord taketh..."




Feeling a little out-of-sorts last night so after work I went for a drive. Ended up stopping by my favorite bar in Seattle, the "Tin Hat" in Ballard. They sell foam beer-holders with their logo and the phrase "SHUT THE FUCK UP & DRINK!", but that's not why they're my favorite bar.

I hadn't realized it'd been so long since I'd been in. Two things have changed, one good, one bad.

First thing I notice is a neon sign that says 'Kitchen Open Till Midnight', which is definitely intriguing as they usually shut it around 10pm, meaning it would have been too late to get tots.

Now let's take a minute to talk tots. The genius of providing freshly fried tater-tots in a bar environment can not be over-emphasized. The simplicity & purity of the idea of tots at a bar fills me with an almost absurdly spiritual joy. They are the single greatest item available for soaking up the beer (or double gin & bitters, in my case) that's souring your stomach. They are the perfect size for a speed-feed, or the perfect size for steady nibbling. They are perfect for munching by yourself, or for a basket-in-the-middle share with friends. They are starchy & fried & hot & greasy like french fries, but unlike fries are much less greasy & stay hot much longer out of the kitchen. They even hold the katsup better.
And the ones at the Tin Hat, as you may have surmised, are the best in Seattle (The secret may be their sauce; like a creamy spicy katsup. But then again it may not be).

I slide onto a stool, pull out the credit card (you should always run a tab when at a bar, it makes everything easier, and is one of life's little pleasures), order my first of the night's double gin & bitters, ask if the kitchen is really still open. Why yes, I would like to see a menu!

The new bartender delivers my drink and takes my order for tots. I ask him how long the kitchen's been open 'til midnight, he looks at the kitchen and says it's been that way as long as he can remember. Hmm, it has been a while since I've been in.

By my third double g&b I've asked for a takeaway box for what's left of my tots (breakfast!), and become a bit more talkative. From overhearing his conversation with an off-work coworker I've noticed they haven't spoken of John, my usual bartender. I ask if he's still around, but neither of them has even heard of a bartender there named John. I can't even ask where he's gone!

Dang. John had the amazing knack of remembering my usual drink, even when I stayed away (at other bars, not away) for months. He had also, from being attentive & professional, perfected the ratio of gin to bitters to make the best drink. And he was the kind of guy who'd talk if you wanted to, or leave you alone if you wanted to just stare at the back of the bar. And he always poured heavy because I always tipped him heavy. And he's the only bartender in Seattle who's let me stay in the bar after closing and continue drinking (so far, fingers crossed!). Dang, gonna have to train the new guy.

Order my fourth double, ask for the check, tip too much (which is just the right amount).

Oh well, tot's 'til midnight in tribute to John....




No comments: