Saturday, October 18, 2008

"Diane, there are few things in life as simultaneously charming and disturbing as a close examination of the American diet."



Went out to Twin Peaks the other day (Snoqualmie & North Bend for those who don't know what I'm talking about) to take some pictures. After a nice conversation on Ronette Pulaski's bridge with some TP tourists from Edmonton, Canada (!) I drove back to the Double R for the requisite coffee.


Twede's has gone through several incarnations since '89 when it was used by Lynch & Co. as the Double R Diner. Its current version features an expanded menu including (along sides the $4.95 slice of Cherry Pie) a list of ''50 Burgers A to Z'':


Click on the menu picture for a larger version, and browse the many wonderful inventions. They range in price from around $9 up to $16.25 for the Whoa Baby; ''1 whole pound of beef on an 8" bun, with cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and mayo."

But my favorite (and the one I ordered again this time) is the Peanut Butter and Jelly. That's right, pb&j on a burger.


The waitress who took my order kind of laughed while saying "you'll like it!"

When she returned later with it she said to let her know what I thought. I told her I knew I'd like it as I'd had one before. She looked a little puzzled and asked "really?!"

I guess it's something people order out of curiosity, or on a dare, but not something they come back and order because they like it.

(If you look close you can just see a bit of peanut butter sticking out from under the jelly.)

It actually taste a lot better than you'd first imagine. Keep in mind most barbecue sauces use maple syrup or brown sugar; the jelly works the same on a burger. And peanuts, like most nuts, have a somewhat meaty flavor anyways, so the peanut butter blends nicely with the beef.

I'm not sure why they give you the pickles though, that would just be gross.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

i'm a big fan of the combination of sweet and savory. it's what makes thai food so good. peanut butter and jelly burger doesn't sound bad.