Sunday, October 26, 2008

"The biggest serial killer, we know, is God. The biggest."



The title of this entry is from the Director's commentary to "Fando y Lis" by Alejandro Jodorowsky, who is most likely the most 'artistic' artist alive. By the time he shot his first film, "FyL" in 1968 he'd already staged over 100 plays. Most of which were experimental, "Theatre of the Absurd" in nature.

He's also a novelist, poet, playwright, painter, musician, philosopher and lecturer. Even listening to his running commentary I only grok about half his references; god forbid trying to watch one of his pics without 'Cliff Notes', the guy's just too brilliant.

Oh, and his 1970 film "El Topo" is the film that created the 'midnight movie' concept.

This is from some late commentary in "Fando and Lis". I have kept his English in its Mexican-influenced vernacular. It may seem a bit 'Speedy Gonzales' to us ignorant Americans, but to be honest I bet his English is a shitload better than my , or your, Spanish, so I wouldn't mock if you can't correct him in his native tongue....

At any rate, from a brilliant artist comes a brief description of a moment of drug-induced satori. And one that ranks with any of the best Zen masters:


"In "The Holy Mountain" [1973], the secret producer was John Lennon. Through Apple Records they gave me the money. I had a lot of money.

With Oscar Ichazo, we made a contract of 17,000 dollars. He came to visit me in person to enlighten me of the 17,000 dollar deal. He stayed in Mexico in a big hotel, and he came to me.

I was waiting, trembling because he was going to give me enlightenment [of the value of the deal]. I was trembling - I will know all the secrets of the world!

He put his hands in his pockets and took a paper, and there was a powder in it - it was an orange powder. He said it was the best LSD. It was pure.

I went, "But ah! Never in my life have I had hallucinations." He said, "Now you will have. Take that." Then he put it in water; I drink.

After an hour he said I'd have hallucinations but I have nothing! And he said, "Wait, this is the best marihuana in Colombia." Then he made me smoke a joint and that was fantastic!

I smoked it in front of a big window and started to come all the history of painting - Van Gogh, Renoir... I was so happy to have hallucination.

But it was only a hallucination! That is like the circus, Walt Disney - it's a mystical Walt Disney!

And then he made me to look in front of a mirror, and in front of the mirror I see all my life. I get old; mummy. I have face of animals, I realize what a monstrosity was my body. I was an angel, a demon.

And then he said, "Go inside your heart." And then I went inside my heart and my heart was like an enormous golden cathedral, and I discovered it was my big friend - my heart was my big friend. It was not the instrument who would kill me, it was my eternal big friend.

And I came to a sky of pure light. And then I wanted to continue, but my master was snoring. He was very too tired.

And then the snoring of the master was the ultimate truth!"


No comments: